Chaos by James Gleick


This is one of those books...




This book strings together the historical thread that led to what we could call "Chaos Theory." Have you ever seen this...







That is the Mandelbrot Set. Among other things, its a picture of infinity. I am not yet comfortable with numbers and mathematics so the beauty and profundity of the math behind Chaos Theory is lost on me. However, a concrete discovery for me is that there are two main divisions of geometry; Euclid's and Fractal's, and that nature's geometry is not Euclidean but Fractal. 





I'm lacking inspiration. It was an amazing book but it evolved into a chore. I have a neurotic drive where I must finish a book I start. These are some notes I scribbled.

1) Science is increasingly specialized.

2) Language is a powerful barrier between branches of science.

3) Euclidean geometry is a kind of Platonic geometry where Fractal geometry is nature's geometry.

4) Chaos Theory is pattern emerging in, what at first glance, seems to be random systems.

5) Strange Attractors are the separation between randomness and chaos.

6)  An increasing senese to look for the fundamental concepts which science rests on.

7) There is SO MUCH I don't know. So much of it seems like noise, fluffy language not required.

8) In order to keep my sanity, I need to focus on pragmatic science. What will help me? What will help others? What is useful?


Has the question been asked: Is all of fractal's geometry, this natures geometry hidden inside this visual equation?